Saturday, October 11, 2008

Prop 8

So I did not write this but a good friend did and I thought that it was well said and just what I have been thinking.

I just wanted to take a minute to talk to you all about something very important that is coming up on Nov. 4 this year. I am sure that you have all heard about Proposition 8. I would like to ask each and every one of you to join with me in voting Yes on this Proposition.

Some of you may feel hesitant about this, but I would like you to consider a few things. If the proposition passes, the only thing that will happen is that homosexual couples will not be able to be married. However, they will still have the rights which exist now. In CA, homosexual couples are able to register as domestic partners and are given the same rights, protections, and benefits as married couples. If however, Proposition 8 fails, we can expect many changes to take place which would have an adverse affect on our future. Public schools will be required to teach about same-gender marriage as well as traditional marriage starting as young as kindergarten and first grade. They will also be required to teach about same-gender relations in the sex education classes as well.

We really need to consider each side carefully before a decision is made. If you think about it in terms of our beliefs, it is easy to see where a major issue may arise. I firmly believe in our definition of marriage as being divinely appointed between one man and one woman that will allow us to become more like our Heavenly Father as we progress toward our goal of eternal salvation. I feel that it is so important that we stand up for what we know to be right and true as we are faced with this particular issue.

I hope that you all know that I am not saying any of this as an attack on individual with same-sex tendencies. I have many friends who struggle with that exact thing, many of them are members of the church. I still feel that they are wonderful people and I love them dearly. However, I still do not want to make it legal for two men or two women to be joined in marriage.

I strongly encourage all of you to register to vote now if you have not already done so and to vote with me as we work to get this proposition passed. Please also talk to all of your friends about it as well. The more people that join with us, the better chance we will have.

No comments: